As the world continues to evolve and adapt to the fast-paced demands of modernization, education remains a cornerstone for Filipinos to succeed in life. The Commission on Higher Education serves as a vital entity that oversees the development of higher education institutions throughout the country.
Also Read: Department of Education (DepEd) Philippines
With its mission to provide accessible and quality education to all Filipinos, CHED plays a crucial role in shaping the future of the nation’s workforce and global competitiveness. From funding research projects to implementing policies that address the needs of students and educators, CHED is at the forefront of ensuring that the country’s higher education system remains relevant and responsive to the changing times.
We will take a closer look at the Commission on Higher Education and its role in shaping the landscape of education in the Philippines. Keep reading as we discuss what is CHED, its benefits, programs, services, and some frequently asked questions about the agency.
What Is CHED?
The Philippine government has designated the Commission on Higher Education as the agency responsible for promoting high-quality and relevant tertiary education. Its main objectives include ensuring access to quality higher education, protecting academic freedom, promoting intellectual growth and research, fostering responsible and effective leadership, educating highly skilled professionals, and enriching historical and cultural heritages.
The commission has been assigned to develop programs and policies aimed at constantly enhancing the quality of higher education in the Philippines. Additionally, it is accountable for accrediting programs and institutions, while recognizing international institutions that meet comparable standards.
In addition to its primary functions, CHED also plays a crucial role in ensuring equitable access to higher education. It implements programs that provide financial assistance to qualified students who are in need. This agency also supports initiatives that promote the inclusion of marginalized and underrepresented groups in higher education.
CHED also works closely with other government agencies, academic institutions, and industry partners to address the changing demands of the global job market, ensuring that graduates are equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in their chosen careers.
List of Benefits, Programs, and Services
As part of CHED’s mission, it provides numerous benefits to students, faculty, and institutions through its programs and policies. These benefits include research and development opportunities as well as financial assistance. CHED offers many other benefits to the higher education sector in the Philippines. Some of the benefits are the following:
1. Improved quality of higher education. CHED implements policies and programs that aim to improve the quality of higher education in the country. It ensures that colleges and universities meet certain standards in terms of curriculum, facilities, and faculty qualifications. Improving the quality of higher education in the Philippines is through accreditation in which an external body evaluates the quality of a program or institution and certifies it meets certain standards.
2. Financial assistance. CHED offers scholarships and financial assistance to students who are in need. This helps students pursue higher education without worrying about the financial burden. For instance, the Student Financial Assistance Program includes several scholarship and grant programs for students. These programs cover various educational expenses, such as tuition fees, textbooks, transportation, and even living expenses.
3. Faculty development. The agency provides programs that help improve the skills and qualifications of faculty members in higher education institutions. This, in turn, helps to improve the quality of education that students receive. For example, the Higher Education Leadership and Management Program aims to develop the leadership and management skills of academic administrators in higher education institutions.
4. Research and development. The commission offers funding and support for research and development projects in various fields. This helps to promote innovation and contributes to the country’s development. It aims to promote research excellence in higher education institutions, enhance the research capacity of faculty and students, and contribute to national development priorities.
5. Internationalization of higher education. CHED supports the internationalization of higher education in the Philippines by promoting collaborations with foreign institutions, offering foreign scholarship and training programs, and supporting the establishment of transnational education programs. These partnerships promote academic exchange between Filipino and foreign institutions, allowing students and faculty members to gain international exposure and experience.
Overall, CHED plays are crucial role in promoting and improving the quality of higher education in the Philippines, providing opportunities for students, and contributing to the country’s development.
The following are the services of the Commission on Higher Education:
- Promote and improve the quality of higher education in the Philippines.
- Develop policies and standards for higher education institutions and programs.
- Accredit institutions and programs.
- Allocate government funds for tertiary education.
- Provide leadership in the development of higher education in the country.
- Ensure equitable access to higher education.
- Produce highly skilled professionals who can contribute to the economic, social, and cultural development of the Philippines.
- Recommend measures or policies to the President and Congress to enhance tertiary education quality.
The commission comprises one chairman and four commissioners who are all designated by the President of the country. The chairman and commissioners hold office for six-year terms that are scheduled in a staggered manner and they are eligible for reappointment for an additional term.
When it comes to the programs of CHED, they include the following:
- K to 12 transition program.
- Faculty development program.
- Institutional development and innovation grants.
- Research and development grants.
- Graduate education assistance program.
- Scholarships and grants for students in need.
- Quality assurance program.
- Foreign scholarship and training programs.
- Capacity building for higher education leaders.
- Student welfare and development programs.
- Advocacy and communications campaigns.
- Higher education strategic development plan.
- Transnational education program.
- Centers of Excellence and development program.
- Philippines-California advanced research institutes project.
- Tulong-Dunong program.
CHED regularly updates its programs and initiatives to align with the changing needs of the higher education sector. Recently, it has implemented several programs to address the challenges brought about by the pandemic. These programs include the creation of online learning platforms, the distribution of gadgets and other learning materials to students, and the provision of financial assistance to affected students and faculty members.
Video: How to Apply for CHED Scholarship 2023
In this video, you will learn everything about the CHED scholarship application with a step-by-step guide throughout the entire process. There are also some helpful tips for getting a scholarship grant for this year. It includes updates on the application process as well as the benefits of becoming a CHED scholar.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is CHED and what does it do?
CHED is a government agency responsible for overseeing and promoting the development of higher education in the Philippines. It sets policies and standards for colleges and universities, offers financial assistance and scholarships to students, and supports research and development projects in various fields.
2. How do I apply for a CHED scholarship?
Interested applicants may visit the CHED website to check the requirements and application process for various scholarship programs. The application process may vary depending on the specific scholarship program.
3. What is the status of CHED’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic?
CHED has implemented programs to address the challenges due to the pandemic including the creation of online learning platforms, the distribution of gadgets and other learning materials, and the provision of financial assistance to affected students and faculty members.
4. How does CHED ensure the quality of higher education in the Philippines?
CHED sets policies and standards for colleges and universities to ensure that they meet certain criteria in terms of curriculum, facilities, and faculty qualifications. It also conducts monitoring and evaluation activities to assess the compliance of higher education institutions with these standards.
5. What are the programs and initiatives of CHED that promote the internationalization of tertiary education in the Philippines?
CHED promotes internationalization through various programs and initiatives, such as the Transnational Education Program, which allows foreign universities to offer their programs in the Philippines, and the Philippine-California Advanced Research Institutes Project, which supports collaborations between Philippine and US universities on research and development projects.
The Commission on Higher Education is an important agency in the Philippines that supervises and regulates higher education institutions in the country. Its programs and policies aim to improve the quality and accessibility of tertiary education through various services, such as accreditation, financial assistance, research and development, and international linkages.
Through CHED’s efforts, qualified students are provided with opportunities for scholarships and grants, faculty and staff are offered training and development, and institutions are evaluated to ensure quality standards are met.
CHED encourages the integration of international perspectives in the development of research agendas and faculty members to participate in international conferences and seminars, Overall, CHED’s commitment to ensuring the quality and accessibility of higher education is essential for the growth and development of the country’s tertiary education system.
Address: 55 C.P. Garcia Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, 1101 Metro Manila
Phone: (02) 8411-1260